Jun 10, 2010

Stories

So I've been trying really hard to write more, but before that, to think creatively more often. I've always been a people watching enthusiast. I like watching strangers and basically writing a brief little bio in my head about them, and if they are with others, I try to imagine what the dynamics of the group are. So on a very small scope, I have that down pretty well.

On a larger scope, I can, with effort, think about a larger universe in which to set characters, or a large challenge/threat they must over come. Now my struggle is combining the two into the middle where they can create a story.

I'm trying to read more and expose myself to different creative influences. I hope this will help, but ultimately I know I need to just write all the time in order to make something out of the ideas bouncing around in my head. It's almost as if I feel I need to create the whole story in my head before a drop of it spills onto paper. It would be better if I just let what's in there spill out so I could look at it all at once and try to make sense of it.

Oh well, hopefully with time I'll get better at this.

No comments: